Saturday, July 26, 2014

Mission Accomplished! Reducing Summer Heat

I think this is kind of a silly mission but it's what works now!  The kitchen window didn't have any curtain at all covering the top half.  It wasn't a big deal because it let in light and wasn't where anyone could see it, thanks to the air conditioner (which cools the whole house by the way) and the fact it's up higher on the house..  When the summer heat started making the house warm, I grabbed an older towel and nailed (yes nailed) it on the window frame.  It helps block the morning sun and keeps the house cooler.  It's thin enough that it also lets in some light in the morning, and usually turning on the light isn't necessary.


More recently I did a similar thing to one of the windows in the livingroom.  It also faces east.  My issue is that it IS lower to the ground and very easy to see in.  I don't like the idea of anyone being able to see into my house without my permission (like having the curtains open by choice), but the cats like sunshine and laying in the window with the curtains that were there, just left a gaping curtain after they were done, until we got home.  SO......I took down the curtain that was there and took down the blind, which was badly torn up.  I nailed (yes nailed again) another old towel, like the one in the kitchen, across the bottom of the window frame.  The cats can get in the window and look out and enjoy the sunshine, but when they are done, the curtain closes behind them.  I took the blind from the west window in the bedroom and put it in this window.  It can be opened or closed to cover he top of the window. It lets in more morning light and sunshine for the cats, but also will block some of that morning heat.

Now, in the bedroom, the west window I took the blind from.  I took the curtain from the livingroom  window and nailed (yes I did it one more time) it to the wall just above the window frame.  The curtains are a little long and I don't want to trip over them at night.  Also, to help block the heat and sun, I can lean the door (we can't hang it because the jam has been damaged *sigh*) up in the window and it helps block more sun and aftenoon/evening heat.

I know it's nothing fancy, but I am making do with what I have right now.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment! I love reading them!