Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Beans and Fudge

So something I don't ever remember eating growing up is ham and beans.  My dad refused to eat any beans other than green beans and lima beans. His reasoning is he ate way too many growing up.  His family grew pinto beans in Wyoming.  They sold the good ones and lived off the not so good ones all winter long. Guess I can see his point.  We have had a request for ham and beans and cornbread for a Thursday evening meal at Cosmic Castle.  I have to get brave and fix it and see if I like it.I found this Slow Cooker Ham and Beans recipe and decided to give it a try since the ingredients looked good.

It's been awhile since I cooked dried beans (I like pinto, red, and kidney) and, silly me, forgot you had to soak them.  I put them in a container with water and soaked them for about 7 hours.   My finger is about where the dried beans level was.  I decided to try one and my word they are good!  Kind of like a cross between a raw pea and a raw lima bean.  I may have found a new favorite snack.  LOL!

So I added everything to my crockpot.  I must say the broth tasted good.  I can't wait to try the whole dish.

I plugged my cockpot into my trusty timer and set it to cook over night.


Like I said, I can't wait to try them tomorrow.  I'll let you know how they turn out.

Now for the fudge.  I wanted a quick easy sweets recipe. I found this Two Ingredient Strawberry Fudge recipe on Pinterest.  No mine isn't strawberry, i'm not much of a strawberry person unless they are fresh.  I got the funfetti chocolate fudge (I think that's what it was.  It was one of those chocolate ones).

It was super easy.  It turned out pretty cute and wasn't bad tasting, but my family and I couldn't get over the fact it tasted like chocolate frosting.  I plan to take the rest of it to church Wednesday evening to the weekly supper before Bible Study.  I probably won't be making this again unless I can figure out some way to seriously improve it.  Guess I need to find an actual fudge recipe and give it a try.

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!