Sunday, December 14, 2014

Blogmas 2014 Day 14 My Favorite Childhood Christmas Memory



Christmas was a big thing at my house growing up.  Big family means lots of gifts under the tree.  Santa wasn't promoted when I was growing up.  I knew about him, but I also knew that my Pa (aka my grandpa, my grandparents raised me, so when I mention my Pa/Dad, it's always my grandpa) (or aunts/uncles/etc) bought the presents that went under the tree.

One memory I have is probably when I was maybe 5/6 years old.  I can't really remember the year, just the event. My dad would have wrapping parties.  My Aunt (who is 13 tears older than me and was still living at home), my Mom (aka my grandma) and me, maybe someone else, I can't really remember.  We would wrap boxes and put the bows on and then ask Dad who they belonged to.  We were having such a good time wrapping and such it drove us nuts when he said "put your name on it."

Another memory I have is you never, and I mean NEVER spent time checking out boxes under the tree.  Once they were there you left them alone.  If you were caught checking out boxes. touching them, shaking them, etc.  those were the LAST gifts you got to open on Christmas morning.  *sigh*  I only did that once, and the gift I just couldn't stop looking at and touching ended up being my very first sewing box.  My Aunt gave it to me.  I still have the box. ;-)  I think I was about 8/9 years old that year.

Another memory is the year I got my canopy bed.  It came with a pink canopy and pink Hollie Hobbie spread and pillow sham.  I was so proud of that bed!  I ended up passing it down to my cousin (who is 12 years younger than me).  I think I got this when I was 10 years old.  I also got a desk that went with the bed (it was a set) but it didn't come in in time for Christmas, so I got it for my birthday present in January.

Last but not least, when we moved to Kansas (when I was 12), for some reason we didn't have a tree that first year.  Instead we had a scavenger hunt for gifts.  the giver hid the gifts and then made up clues to help the person hunting find the gift.  Several times other gifts were found instead.  LOL!

Last but not least.  This was also the same year we moved to Kansas.  To make the story short, I ended up being grounded from my stereo for 3 months for something that really wasn't my fault.  BUT I got it back on Christmas day.


Those are my best childhood Christmas memories.  I'm linking up with Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.

4 comments:

  1. Love all of your memories -and love the idea of a scavenger hunt! But oh I bet that Hollie Hobby bed set was awesome! Thx for bringing back memories of Hollie - I loved her!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:31 PM

    Loved reading your memories....what a great idea, the scavenger hunt! I may have to use that this year for them to locate their bikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the memories, the bed sounds devine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a scavenger hunt sounds so fun! I can imagine that your bed was so magnificent :) I really enjoyed reading your special memories!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment! I love reading them!