Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Weighing Yarn

SO I asked my fellow yarnies if you could weigh a project and find out how much yarn you used.  In theory it should work but no one had a definite answer for me and I couldn't find an answer in the internet.  I had this bright idea to see if my theory worked.  Of course it has to be all the same kind of yarn, and I'm guessing if it's old (like you weigh an old project to determine amount) the weight may be a little different.   That I will have to wonder about for a while unless someone has an answer for me. ;-)

SO I was using sugar & cream black cotton yarn.  It was a 4 oz skein.

 Here is the WIP weight, since it was an after thought.  It weighs 4 ounces
Here is the finished project weight

The left over yarn weight

and both together again. Finished project and leftover yarn.


So in this case, this project worked out just perfect.

I have weighed yarn for a friend.  She got some of those pretty caron cakes and one looked way bigger than the other.  Both were the same brand/color/dyelot.   One did way a smidge more, like 1/4 an ounce or so, but we decided the reason one looked so huge is one was wound tighter than the other.


Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment! I love reading them!