Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Plarn

Sounds like a naughty word doesn't it?  LOL!  It's not a new concept to me but yet it is.  Plarn is plastic bag yarn.  One of the ladies in my crochet group has challenged us to make a sleeping mat for the homeless.  She has a mission or something like that that makes them and delivers them.  I'm not making a mat right now but I am making plarn!

I haven't counted how many bags I have cut up but I can say it's been 1 regular sized plastic grocery bag stuffed as full as I could get it without them falling out.  It took me most of the evening, with interruptions, to get 2 good sized balls.  They weighed about 2 1/4 ounces each.  That was quite a bit of work for those balls.  It's estimated to make a sleeping mat from the pattern the lady shared you need 500 to 700 grocery bags.


 Today I decided to re-roll my balls of plarn.  That way I can choose to have red/blue or orange/green.  I mostly have the red/blue because it's the grocery I shop at most.  The orange/green will probably just be with what I currently have because that grocery store was bought out the beginning of this year and is changing names and everything.  I'm guessing from seeing their logo that the bags will have red print on them.

Then there is also brown colored bags that we get when we shop at Dillons.  Family Dollar has yellow bags.  Neither of those stores I shop at very often though.  So my stash will probably just be red/blue.

I do have a brown, but's it a much heavier plastic bag.  It comes from our hot dog bun packages.  Right now I just have 3 bags, but there will be more.......


Thanks for stopping by!  Don't forget to leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. I have not made plarn in forever. I used to also use bread wrappers when we bought bread.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment! I love reading them!